Drinking just like fashion has it’s different go-to’s depending on the weather, functionality, and mood of the day. In the cooler climates; darker, heavier beers are of course what make the rounds. Come warmer weather lighter, fruitier mixed drinks come to the forefront.
There are three drinks that weigh heavily in my mind for the Spring and Summer for cookouts, baseball games, and a lazy day at the cafe. As always, I would love any suggestions or variation. Thanks to Bon Appetit for the incredible picture above.
Cider – Cider has always been a staple of my drink diet whether stand alone or mixed in a Snakebite cocktail such as the Poor Man’s Black Velvet with Guinness.
1. Strongbow, Woodchuck Cider, K
Lager Shandy – Like most beer cocktails, there are a lot of variations depending on what you prefer and what part of the world you are in. Below are just a couple to try out to find the one that really sticks out for your preferences.
1. Ginger beer such as Barrits (the less bitter the better) mixed with lemonade.
2. S. Pellegrino (or any other sparkling lemon) mixed with a pale ale such as Paulaner, Sierra Nevada, or Peroni.
3. In places like Germany I have heard of a darker mix of cola and a stout or sometimes even a porter.
Dark N Stormy – Here’s the classic warm weather cocktail consisting of a dark rum and ginger beer with a lime over it.
1. The ginger beer of choice is normally Barritts due to not being too bitter. Rum choices normally just stick to Gosling’s. Mixed and pour over ice with a slice of lime and you’re ready to go.